ABOUT MARIN GENERAL HOSPITAL:
Come and be a part of our healing team at the award-winning Marin General Hospital! Ranked in the top 3% of general hospitals in the country, we have made great strides since returning to our roots as an independent hospital. As Marin County’s only acute hospital and a vital resource for a wide range of essential health care services, it is our mission—and our passion—to excel in every medical specialty. We attract the finest physicians and employees who appreciate having the best of both worlds: the resources and medical sophistication of an academic medical center combined with the personalized, caring touch of an independent hospital. We have an exceptionally collaborative team that adheres to the highest service excellence standards to ensure that we deliver world-class, personalized care to patients. Till date, our Joint-Commission accredited hospital has won numerous awards and certifications in delivering best-in-class health care in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Marin General Hospital currently has an opportunity for a Director of Medical Staff Services
Provides leadership and direction to Medical Staff organizational, administrative, educational and credentialing functions within established objectives and policies set by the Office of the President and the Board of Directors. Provides input on Hospital’s initiatives and strategies involving the organized medical staff and its affiliated Allied Health Professional (AHP) staff. Directs, plans, and organizes all related functions and activities for the organized medical staff. Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies and established Hospital standards, practices, and procedures, and maintains confidentiality of medical staff records.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent desirable. Special courses in Medical Staff Services and personnel management recommended
- 5 to 7 years progressively responsible management experience
- 5 years applicable experience in Medical Staff Services
- Direct experience with CALS and ACCME survey processes and medico-legal aspects of oversight of Medical Staff functions and activities
Must hold a current NAMSS certification as a CPMSM (Certified Professional in Medical Staff Management); candidates with a CPCS (Certified Provider Credentialing Specialist) or CPHQ (Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality) in addition to CPMSM will be preferred
- Provides input on Hospital’s related strategic initiatives and develops tactical strategies for the economic success of the Hospital, change management, organizational re-engineering and nontraditional approaches to organization and problem solving
- Manages employees, either directly or through Coordinators. Develops standards of performance, allocates resources, and approves personnel actions. Provides feedback and coaching to staff to ensure appropriate professional growth and development
- Develops Group’s goals and objectives, and establishes and implements policies and procedures for its operations
- Participates in related Hospital committee meetings and as Hospital representative at professional/external organizations, as appropriate
- Evaluates the quality and appropriateness of Group programs, actions, policies and procedures. Assumes responsibility for developing new policies and for corrective action when appropriate
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise, and shares new developments with MDs and staff via departmental and committee meetings
- Plans, organizes, oversees, administers and directs confidential documentation of research required for credentials verification of initial appointment and continuous reappraisal of health care professional seeking/ holding medical staff membership and/or allied health professional status. Ensures timely and thorough verifications to support the hospital’s mission, and appropriate orientation, proctorship, etc. for new MDs
- Develops and assists in implementing practices to maintain medical staff compliance with accrediting body guidelines, risk management and adherence to federal or state agencies, laws and regulations
- Oversees development of and compliance with Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, policies and procedures. Ensures thorough research of professional literature and obtains legal and compliance review as needed, e.g., Titles 22 & 16, CMS, Business & Professions codes, State Assembly bills, JC standards
- Oversees, develops, and directs maintenance of computer programs which generate data utilized for continuous credentialing purposes and statistical data needed by in-house departments. Ensures that MGH staff has access to appropriate levels of internal, external, or online resources to verify physician credentials and affiliation
- Assists in selection process and orientation of incoming Medical Staff Officers, Department Chairs, and Division Chiefs. Sponsors biannual formal in-depth leadership orientation and Change of Command events
- Oversees fiscal management of the Medical Staff Services operational budget, expenses, and identification of revenue sources. Assists medical staff leadership in development of Marin General Hospital Physician Education Fund budget, account reconciliation, and ongoing viability of fund
- Coordinates the Executive functions of the Medical Staff, and their efforts to address problems with physician performance, health, behavior, up to and including external peer review, corrective actions and judicial review
- Administrative oversight for the MGH Physician Education Program with over 100 Category I Continuing Medical Education (CME) events annually. Maintains knowledge of requirements for CME program event compliance with California Medical Association (CMA), American Council on Certification of Medical Education (ACCME), and JC standards. Ensures links to the hospital’s quality improvement and compliance functions. Leads processes enabling ongoing accreditation by CMA and ACCME
- Oversees compliance with the CDC requirements for Medical Staff and AHP immunization and maintenance of records
- Serves as the in-house resource for issues pertaining to Allied Health Professionals, physicians enrolled in graduate medical education programs, and any non-employee physician extenders. Coordinates the activities of the Interdisciplinary Practice Committee
- Oversees responses to internal and external requests for physician-specific information. Oversees staff and audits of computer program data to ensure current information on all Medical Staff / AHP staff, including the MS4, MIDS, and MGH internal & external Website resources
- Other duties as assigned or requested
WHAT WE OFFER:
Marin General Hospital offers a generous suite of employee benefits, which includes a comprehensive and rich health benefits program (medical, dental, vision and prescription plans) at zero cost to you and your family. Our robust Wellness @ Work program (e.g. onsite health & fitness classes, discounts, etc) also promotes a healthier lifestyle for employees and to support you on your Healthy Healer journey. Other benefits include, but are not limited to, a 403(b) contribution plan and company-funded retirement plan, life insurance, vacation, holiday and sick leave, which you will start accruing immediately. Our benefits are highly competitive and considered to be one of the best in the Bay Area! Find your healing place at Marin General Hospital.
External hires must pass a background check and medical screen. Qualified applicants with arrest records and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal, state and local laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability status and any other classifications protected by federal, state & local laws.